Top tips to get started
Did you know that setting up an online sponsorship page with JustGiving is the quickest and easiest way to collect sponsorship? Share your page link with your friends, family and colleagues by email or on social media so they can sponsor you anywhere, at any time.
If you haven’t already, create your JustGiving page so that:
- people can donate securely, quickly and easily with a credit or debit card
- the money you raise goes directly to Maggie’s
- your sponsors can leave you a message of support if they want to
- you can set up a JustTextGiving code for people to donate to you from their mobile
Ask your company to match your fundraising
Matched giving is a great way to double the money you raise. Let us know if your employer is doing this so we can thank them too.
Don’t forget to Gift Aid!
We can receive an extra 25% on the money you raise if your sponsors are UK taxpayers, at no cost to them or to you. Make sure people know to tick the Gift Aid box on the donation form so that we can make the most of their gift.
Keep it safe and legal
- If you're putting on your own event, make sure you read through our event checklist to keep it safe and legal
- Don't forget to put a risk assesment together for your own events too. We have a simple template from the IOF here
- Remember that you’ll need a licence if you’re collecting money in a public place, holding a raffle that’s part of another event or if you’re selling alcohol
- If you’re collecting money in private property such as a restaurant or pub you’ll need permission from the manager
- If your event is in a public place you’ll need let the police know in case it disrupts traffic
- Don’t forget health and safety – speak to your local St John’s Ambulance for advice on keeping your event safe
- If anyone under the age of 16 wants to help with fundraising, they must be accompanied by an adult at all times. For anyone aged 16–18 years old, they must have parental permission.
Get in touch
We're here to help you with your fundraising activity in any way we can. If you have any questions please get in touch with your local Maggie’s fundraiser. You can find their contact details by searching for your nearest Maggie's.